25 May 2012

Genealogy Psalm

Thank you to http://mariah.stonemarche.org/genealgy.htm for posting this piece.  It is the epitomy of my genealogy.


The Genealogists Psalm

Genealogy is my pastime, I shall not stray.
It maketh me to lie down and examine half-buried tombstones.
It leadeth me into still courthouses;
It restoreth my ancestral knowledge.
It leadeth me in paths of census records and ship's passenger lists for my surname's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the shadows of research libraries and microfilm readers,
I shall fear no discouragement.
For a strong urge is within me;
The curiosity and motivation they comforteth me.
It demandeth preparation of storage space for the acquistion of countless documents.
It annointeth my head with burning mid-night oil;
My family group sheets runneth over.
Surely birth, marriage, and death dates shall follow me all the days of my life;
And I shall dwell in the house of a family history seeker forever.

Author Unknown

 

I think you can tell it was written well before the advent of the personal computer.  So with a few life style changes, as well as computer driven genealogy.  Life is a bit easier in some aspects of the research and storage in the computer instead of all the paper and file drawers of notebooks.  Of course I yet again sing Ancestry.com praises, since I will never lose my tree thu a computer issue again.  Since it stores so nicely my gathered ins.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...